The symbol of Carbonia is its civic tower, known as the Torre Littoria. Mussolini officially inaugurated the town from the top of the tower. It is 28 metres tall and has 5 floors.
A typical example of rationalist architecture, it is the social heart of the town.
Rebuilt at the beginning of the millennium, a study by five European universities ranked it as one of the 60 most liveable piazzas in Europe in 2007.
The main church in the town stands in the central piazza Roma. It was built by the architects Valle and Guidi and was inaugurated in 1938. It is dedicated to St. Ponziano, the martyr pope, co-patron saint together with St. Barbara.
The architecture of the church harmonises with the town’s rationalist structure. The rectangular façade, with a small colonnaded atrium, is made of granite, whereas the top part is made of red vulcanite.
The 44.7 metre-high bell tower is an explicit reference to the bell tower of the Sanctuary of Maria Assunta of Aquileia.